At Payless Sales yesterday

I was at the Payless sales at YMCA, KL, yesterday. I hadn’t been sure I’d get any books I really wanted as someone told me Payless stocked only American books. But, still, I found a couple:

Hardbacks:
Doris Lessing’s Fifth Child, a Brit hardcopy, a surprise.
Fay Weldon’s Life Force
Helen Fielding’s Cause Celeb
Seamus Deane’s Reading in the Dark
Carol Shield’s Larry’s Party

And the American writers I really like:
Nicholson Baker’s VOX. I already have a paperback copy, a free gift for some Granta subscription way, way back in the early 90s.
Tama Janowitz’s By the Shores of Gitchee Gumee

And those I’ve heard great reviews about:
Alice Sebold’s Lovely Bones
Emma McLaughlin’s The Nannie Diaries

Paperbacks:
Muriel Sparks’ Loitering With Intent (already have a Brit copy)
Barry Unsworth’s Morality Play
Penelope Lively’s Moon Tiger
Deborah Moggach’s Tulip Fever
Tama Janowitz’s American Dad
Richard Ford’s Independence Day
E. Annie Proulx’s Shipping News
Barbara Kingsolver’s The Poisonwood Bible

Last two recommended by Sharon, who was also there, first thing in the morning.

Next, I lugged all the heavy hardbacks, and the paperbacks, all the way, via LRT, to Kino, to pick up my reserved copy of Jon McGregor’s So Many Ways to Begin. I was a little disappointed Kino brought in only the trade paperbacks of the book. But, anyway it was OK, as I got 25% off it.

(Read more about that day at Payless sales at Sharon's blog. There's a pic of me there, too.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.